Friday, September 28, 2012

What I've Learned about Water

In the 40 minutes I have before my next rehearsal I've decided to chill out in the computer lab a little bit and write. It's a rainy day here in Boston, and the warm computer lab just seems so...inviting. I'm writing today because I know I won't be writing tomorrow, as I am working MY LAST DOUBLE.
Oh hell yes. When I leave the restaurant business, no tears will be shed, no sad good byes will be made, and I won't have my nose pressed to the back window of a taxicab watching the door to the restaurant getting smaller and farther away as I drive back into the city and disappear over the horizon. No...instead I'll be skipping down the street, twirling my apron in the air, singing, dancing, and drinking merrily.

Lots of things are changing.

Drinking water for 30 days has been a really great experience. It's been a little weird, if I get invited out by friends and order only water, to explain to them what I'm doing...but generally they think it's a cool idea. It's actually led to more changes than I originally thought.
Before it would have been easy to walk into a convenience store to get an iced tea, then maybe pick up a bag of Pirate's Booty, and maybe a Hershey bar for later. Seeing as tap water is basically free and I can get it from my kitchen sink from the comfort of my own home, those trips to the convenience store have been few and far between. It's friendly to my wallet, and friendly to my little black jeans. They now fit again. *Fist pump*
Less trips to the store means that I'm eating less crap. On the way home from the gym (which I am trying to go to regularly...keyword: trying), I usually stop in at the market and grab a weeks worth of fresh fruit (located at the front of the store). Currently I'm hooked on Fuji apples and kiwis, but I can't wait for the middle of winter for when the clementines come :) (pretty much one of the only good things about the middle of winter).
Also, now that I'm seriously cutting back on my serving shifts, and will soon be finishing up, there have been less reasons for me to go out after work. You would think working as a waitress I would burn about ten thousand calories running around during the dinner rush. Yes, we have an active lifestyle I would say. However, leaving work with all that cash and going to the hotel bar next door, having a few beers and an order of wings doesn't really help with that.
I've learned way to much about what goes into bottled water, the process, the ingredients, the brands, and the commercials. In fact, here is a list of what I've tried:

SmartWater-I didn't get any smarter. Lies.
Fiji water-pretty darn tasty I would say.
Poland Springs-I still don't know what it means to be from Maine.
Aquafina-still my go-to bottle
Dasani-never liked it.
Evian-too similar to dasani
7/11 Store brand water-generic water
Perrier-too pretentious.

The challenge is still on for a few more days, so the list will get longer, although probably not by much. Most of the water I drank this month has been from my sink. It's free, it's cold, and it's delicious. I do not really consider myself a bottled water connoisseur, and I don't know if I'll ever be able to spell "connoisseur" correctly the first time. I do know a lot more than I did about water from when I started the challenge, how it effects your overall health, and now that I've done that for 30 days, it will be easy for me to continue drinking lots and lots of water (although I am looking forward to wine and seasonal lattes).

And please, if you do want to try this challenge, remember to recycle.







No comments:

Post a Comment