Last night in a hotel bar across from where I work, I celebrated two accomplishments. My year long stint working as a waitress in a local seafood restaurant has finally ended. I have been waiting for this day since...mid to late January. I can finally throw in the proverbial apron and focus on what means most to me: music. I have two professional auditions coming up and it would be great to advance in one of them (at the very least).
I remember the night I worked during the opening ceremonies of the Olympics in London. I took a taxi home because I wanted to arrive in time to see the USA entrance. While stuck in traffic on Commonwealth Avenue on my way to Fenway, windows down, I could hear cheering coming from the many apartments along the street. I had just missed it. On the verge of tears, after dealing with rude customers for the last few hours, not making nearly enough money, and now missing the one thing I wanted to get home to see, I finally arrived in Fenway to see the love of my life waiting for me outside. He took me into his lap as soon as I got out of the car and the first thing he said to me was:
"You're not a waitress....
you're a musician."
That has been my personal mantra for the remaining few months of work whenever the going got tough. So I celebrated the blood, sweat, and tears that were shed during the last year with a much needed peach margarita:
The second accomplishment was celebrating the end of September, the month where I drank nothing but water for 30 days. Celebrating with a margarita was a good life choice. I've already written about what I learned about water, but all in all I feel healthier, have more energy, and it has led to healthier habits (going to the gym, eating better, and not eating late).
So it is now the first of October. My birthday month, my boyfriend's birthday month, and our anniversary month! Also, it's time for an awesome 30 day challenge. Boston.
I have lived in this beautiful city for five years, going on six. Commonly referred to as the "Walking City", Boston is full of history and historic events. We have the Boston Tea Party, Paul Revere, the Battle of Bunker Hill, and the writing of the Constitution. This month I will be walking all over Boston visiting as many historic landmarks and museums as I can...on a college student's budget. Summer is over, and so is the peak of tourism. School is in full swing and all of the out of town students have been acquainted with the city, so I feel like October would be a great way to explore the city. Commonly visited places such as Quincy Market will be less crowded, and it will be wonderful walking around in the beautiful fall weather.
So go ahead, be a tourist in your own city.
P.S. Isn't my blog pretty and festive now? When I started this blog it was during hurricane season in August. Lots of rain, hence the rainy day picture window mountain. Now it's beautiful and autumn!

No comments:
Post a Comment