Monday, December 31, 2012

Happy 2013!!

With New Year's Eve comes visions of champagne, bubbles, the clinking of glasses, smiling friends, sparkling dresses, and those pesky resolutions. I have plenty of resolutions myself, in addition to coming up with a brand new January challenge, which I'm keeping under wraps until tomorrow (trying to hide the fact that I don't even know what it's going to be yet). I've been trying to see all the great movies of 2012 before the year changes, but I sort of failed on that front. I did see Les Miserables, however, and I can't recommend it enough. I've never seen the musical before, but I gotta say, the movie that's out right now is phenomenal. I also realized it had the same producer as the Phantom of the Opera (in Royal Albert Hall). Still on my list is Lincoln, (directed by Steve Spielberg and music by John Williams), Django Unchained, Life of Pi, Zero Dark Thirty, and Silver Linings Playbook.





The past few New Years have been interesting to say the least. I don't think I've ever had a successful New Years Eve party in years. In fact, probably since high school, when I had all my best girlfriends over for hot tubbing bliss and cups of ginger ale.



 The year after was spent with my cousin and brother...not so much bliss in the hot tub that year, except for my brother shouting "shit! my cell phone" after realizing it had been in his pocket, submerged.



Throughout college nothing too exciting. I've celebrated the new year in Miami, New York, Boston, and Providence. I've never been to a first night, I prefer to watch the crowds from the comfort of my own home.

Two years ago was kind of an epic fail. I say kind of, because it actually worked out quite nicely. I eventually found myself at a friend's frat house, we all said happy new year, clicked our champagne glasses (after a few gin and tonics), and watched some fireworks from the roof. The only problem, was that I was trying to meet up with my friends who were coming into the city "later"...and nobody really knew what time "later" was. The year after that I had to work, and celebrated with some work friends at a local bar.

I'm looking forward to this year's celebration, since I get to spend it with some of my best girlfriends, from the aforementioned hot tub experience.

It doesn't really matter where you spend New Year's Eve, as long as you're surrounded by friends and family. If you're away from someone you love, you can keep them in your thoughts and in your heart. 2012 was a tough year, possibly with more downs than ups, but 2013 holds hope. Hope for more ups than downs, most opportunities to do the right things, be a better person, and have a good, happy life. You don't need January 1st or a new year resolution to change for the better. Just do it.

You deserve to be happy.


Have a happy, healthy, and safe New Year's Eve everyone!!

XOXO


No comments:

Post a Comment