Saturday, September 6, 2014

Not as Easy as it Sounds

Not sure why there is a huge space here...whatever. 

Turns out, going without sugar is a total drag. Literally.

It's time consuming to read every single label and to google nutrition facts whenever I am about to eat something at work. It's inconvenient when you're on the road and desperately need some nourishment after teaching and the only thing that is fast and cheap is a Dunkin (I had black coffee and ALMOST a donut). It sucks when you want to have a coke or a lemonade for that sugary fix in the middle of the day and then fatigue hits you and then you want to hit a coworker for speaking to you because you're tired (lest you have a diet coke...oh the chemicals...although I did have a small one out of desperation). It also sucks when you go out with friends for drinks and you have you have your Hendricks on the rocks instead of with tonic water. Oh wait, that's better. Tonic water also has about 32g of sugar per 12oz. But it's also incredibly painful when you're dealing with a sudden change in your diet and you get a giant stomach ache in the middle of the day that makes for hours of discomfort.

BUT...
Six days in, what are the good things? I'm drinking a lot more water, and having fun with putting things in my water to make it healthy. I'm cooking more of my own food at home which is healthier anyway, but it also makes my wallet feel good. I am actually sleeping much better at night and waking up early is easy. It takes some planning ahead, but bringing in my own meals to work is working for me (low fat hummus and baby carrots, almonds, huge water bottle full of stuff). I think I'm just eating healthier because I'm reading the packaging and going for whole foods instead of processed, and since I'm allowing fruits and not fruit juice or sweet teas or any other sugar beverage that disguises itself with healthy sounding labels, I all around feel better.  

------------------------------------------------

The water:

A lot of internet sites will call the following "detox" beverages. I just think they're delicious...but also no matter what our diet is, our bodies are always detoxing, so is there really such a thing? 

Lemon, cucumber and mint: 



One lemon, one cuke, and one handful of fresh mint. 


Let sit overnight and enjoy.


Of course when I walk into work everyone is like "WHAT THE HELL IS THAT"

Watermelon and mint:

Two ingredients. Hopefully one really good water drink. 


Two simple ingredients 

Of course, I wasn't able to let this sit overnight to let the flavors mix in, but there was quit a bit of leftover watermelon juice in the container.

So it's going quit well for me over here. I've had a few moments where I maybe had something that contained sugar (bread), but I think a slip up once in a while is okay. It's hard and it's a huge change, but so far the benefits have been worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment