Monday, September 1, 2014

First New Challenge in a While

Okay this month I actually have something for you. Whoever "you" are. But first let me say something about narcissism.

Since this is my personal blog, it contains my thoughts, my perspective, and details about my life. So you could say that blogging by nature is a narcissistic activity. I think that is true for most. I, however, think of this more as a way of reaching out to the world, and as a hobby. I enjoy writing and sharing certain things about my life, and this blog has been useful in getting me out of "ruts" and rough patches that have occurred in my life.

That being said, this blog was inspired by a TED Talk given by Matt Cutts, and there is a link to his video on the right hand side of this page (unless you're reading this on a phone, in which case I have no idea where it would be). It's about trying something you've always wanted to try and giving it a shot for the next 30 days. It's about adding something new to your life...or taking something away. I haven't really done an actual "challenge" in a while, but this being the first of the month, it's a great time to start one.

So the challenge is: go sugar free for 30 days.

Why? Because I've realized that I am dependent on the stuff. Every time I'm at work and need a lift before starting a shift, I pour myself a coke, or a lemonade, or a ginger ale...then I go out for drinks and usually get a gin and tonic (gin itself isn't so bad...its the tonic that has a ton of sugar). Add to that the fact that I'm a total chocoholic and work in a restaurant where I am constantly grazing, and maybe have a few too many bites of whatever dessert we are featuring that week. Plus the usual soy vanilla latte that I have before work...and the one I have on break because of their damned "treat receipt".

After thinking about this for a few days, and really noticing my sugar-binging habits, I'm going to stop. Here are my rules:

1. Fruit is allowed, because besides the sugar, there are vitamins and fiber and other health benefits. Fruit juice, however, is completely out of the question.

2. Coffee is allowed. Black coffee. Nothing in it. (So I probably won't be drinking it anyways)

3. Drinking is permitted once a week (and in moderation)(...it's okay, I laughed at that too). Red wine, dry whites, and hard liquor. No beer, whites, or mixers. Except for soda water. But I'd rather have my gin on the rocks anyways, thank you very much.

4. Since it is the month of a certain significant others birthday, I will allow myself one day of indulgence. Because what's a birthday without cake? COME ON.

5. Read the labels...because it's surprising how much shit has sugar in it.

My plan of attack so far is to make my own naturally flavored water to stay hydrated so that my cravings for soda aren't fueled by thirst. I am also going to start to bring raw almonds, hummus, and baby carrots to work instead of eating the food that they prepare for us (it is not because one of their meals made me violently ill with food poisoning which affected other members of the staff...no, not at all).

Because this post was written haphazardly in my kitchen while eating a raw pepper, I am trying to get out of the house, so grammar and spelling are taking a back seat. This goes unedited this time.

No sugar. Join me.





No comments:

Post a Comment