Saturday, March 9, 2013

Thoughts before going to Haiti

Officially on spring break, and it doesn't really feel like it, mainly because I'm surrounded by snow...but that's all going to change tomorrow when I head off to Port-au-Prince with MESDA.

Don't be jealous...
Typical...my phone being at 15%...


Today was my first, and only day of "break", since I will be working and playing hard for the next week. It began around 11, when I finally decided to get out of bed, did a little shopping since I don't have a nice white shirt to perform in (and I don't want to be the only person wearing all black like last time), then I played a round of racquetball with some wind players, finished Downton Abbey (Season 3 finale, and wept silently into a bag of M&Ms), then I went to a friend's incredible voice recital. So, true to form, I saved most of my preparation and packing at the last possible minute. On my way home from the recital, printed a few copies of music, stopped at the CFA to get my instrument and more music, and now I'm at home, sitting on my bed, sipping on a vanilla-espresso concoction (breaking the no caffeine rule, I know)...and the packing has yet to begin.

I've learned a lot more about what to expect since I've already been on one MESDA trip to the Dominican Republic back in November. First off, I am prepared with a lot of music to share with my students, as well as bringing lots of warm up and technique exercises for my lessons, and I think that is most important. A little less important, is the fact that this time I am bringing bug spray (the remnants of my hundreds - not exaggerating- of mosquito bites are still apparent months later), as well as sunscreen, and lots of different meds, just in case. My first meal coming back from Haiti will not be fried food, that was a terrible idea last time, and I even know a little bit of French, which will help with speaking and understanding Creole. The most important thing is to arrive with an open mind, and an excitement of the week to come.

It's about time to get packing...and I need to figure out what time I need to get to the airport. Tomorrow is daylight savings time, and good thing I remembered, because I "could have gone Dominican style" - kind of an inside joke. Sorry.

Hopefully there will be a strong enough wifi signal where we're staying, and the next time you hear from me, I'll be in Port-au-Prince updating you on my amazing and rewarding week.




1 comment:

  1. I hope you have a fantastic time! It sounds like you're prepared for a great week of teaching, music, and sun :)

    ReplyDelete