Saturday, March 30, 2013

Running Sucks

The problem I've always had with running is that I hate doing it...but at least I don't run like a girl. We've all seen those people out there with really awkward strides, but hey, give them credit because at least they're trying. I'm fairly confident that I have a normal looking run, due to running around a lot in my childhood, my brief encounters with playing soccer, my years playing tennis, and now racquetball. But please, if I have an awkward looking run, be a dear and tell me.

So I have been running now for two days. In a row. My first day was a little overkill. I ran from my place in Allston down Commonwealth, cut through the BU campus, took the pedestrian bridge over Storrow Drive, and ran on the bike path by the Charles. The weather was gorgeous! I could feel myself physically getting a little tired, but eventually the endorphins kicked in and I suddenly didn't hate running as much, imagine that. And I felt great for the rest if the day.






Still feeling a little tightness in my legs from yesterday, I decided to go on a short run today. I have since travelled to RI and did a short 20 minute run through my little town in Wakefield. I thought I had packed everything, since I tend to brag about my packing skills, but this time I think it went to my head. I forgot socks. But the great thing about having a shoe size of 6 is that I easily fit into my 11 year old brother's socks. His shoes however, are way too big for me. It's a little sad.

To spend some quality brother/sister time, I ran while he rode his bike. We took my step dads route which went through our neighborhood, through the center of our little town, up hills, and down hills. It was a welcome change of scenery...not that I'm complaining at all about my proximity to the Charles River...but I do enjoy my time at home, and a break from the city every once in a while.

Oh little town of Wakefield...
 
Admittedly, I still have to take some breaks and walk. When I first started running years ago during my undergrad, I was walking more than I was running. Surprisingly, on my first run, I was running far more than I was walking, and the same goes for today. When I walk, I set a brisk pace, and it's more of a break than a "I can't possibly run anymore so I'm going to walk for 15 minutes, and run for three".
 
Running has also made me more aware of the benefits of eating healthy. I'm eating lean turkey on 127 grain bread (if only such a thing existed) with baby carrots for lunch, usually a bowl of Cheerios with soy mik for breakfast, and for dinner I have a small bowl of whole wheat pasta. It's easy to fall into the whole "Oh, it's okay I ran today" mind set and walk into the McDonalds that's disturbingly close to my apartment, but I don't want to undo what I've already done. Granted, I did that last time I ran a lot with Wendy's, but it was okay because I was running. But then I stopped running and kept eating Wendy's...and we all know how that story goes.
 
 
Even though this is a 30 day challenge, I am not going to stop running after 30 days. It usually takes 30 days for something to become habitual, so with that in mind, I am going to keep running, and eventually start training for some races. It's exciting. I'm a runner now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment