Monday, January 28, 2013

Dominican Style

On Saturday night I was kidnapped by Dominicans.

Let me explain. 

A good friend of mine was in town and we met at a bar called Coco's Lounge in JP, and I'm pretty sure I was the only white girl in the entire establishment. There was awesome loud music, everyone was speaking Spanish, there was crazy dancing, everyone was beautiful and the drinks were plentiful. It had the exact feel of being back in the Dominican Republic, out at night, despite the freezing temperatures and icy sidewalks. Even though it was cold outside, I was surrounded by the warmest people. We stayed until last call and then peaced out...of the city. 

We ended our night (very early morning) in Easton, MA, where I had never been before but it was a cute quiet town. Well, quiet until we got there. We continued the crazy dancing until around 5:30 in the morning. In a way, it was a lot like the RISE after hours dance club I've been to, except we were all dancing in pajamas, and there were snacks and drinks (no shortage of Dominican rum). At first I was a little shy about dancing, mainly because I sometimes end up looking like Elaine from Seinfeld. But something about being around people who could actually dance made me break out of my shell a little bit. They taught me how to Dougie, then we learned the Party Rock dance (now every day I be shufflin'), and then we did the Gangnam style dance in a weird kind of line dance form. Not to mention all the booty shaking and jumping around. 


What I thought I looked like:


What I probably looked like:


I really wish I had taken some pictures or videos to remember the occasion, but that just means it's going to have to happen again! 

The next day was the obligatory "lazy Sunday" in which you lie around in bed, or in this case wherever you happened to crash on the floor/couch for a few hours before getting up. One part of you is still sleeping, the other part of you is waiting for other people to wake up, and the last part of you is still recovering from the night before. 

Regardless of how tired I was, I did manage to perform in a fantastic and fun concert at BU. It was a very horn-y concert. Here's some of the music we played, courtesy of YouTube. (These clips obviously aren't of us).

We played two pieces:




Today I resumed the regular schedule of going to school, with the exception of a short video interview for the MESDA group. In fact, we wrote up a report that you can view on the website! Here is the link:
On February 4th, if you're in town a week from today there will even be a Citizen's Artist talk at BU about all the thing we did in the DR and how it changed not only the lives of the students there, but also ours, in a big, big way. 

Cheers to everyone! Have a great week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment