This weekend was amazing. From Thanksgiving Eve (apparently the biggest drinking night of the year, over New Years) all the way until now has been utterly amazing and fun. I got to see some of my best friends, got to know some people who I haven't really been able to hang out with, and met lots of great, new friends. We went out on the town, chilled at friends' houses, and stayed up way past our bed times (and I apologize ahead of time for any spelling or grammatical errors...so tired right now).
| Just one of the gems from this weekend's fun |
So again, it is the eve of my Dominican Republic trip with MESDA. I've got my Jimmy Buffet pandora station to put me in the mood to pack and go somewhere tropical. I swear my packing skills could win awards. Now, I'm a pretty well seasoned traveler, but nothing too crazy. I don't have 40 stamps in my passport, actually, I probably don't even have 10...but I've been to some really sweet places. I've spent a few weeks during the summer in Canada at Domaine Forget twice in a row (packing bed sheets is always a hassle). I've played in Saint Peter's Basilica in Rome with the Youth Orchestra of the Americas, as part of a Catholic mass (and I really should have left more room in my suitcase for the amazing leather jacket and assorted pastas and goodies I brought back). I've spent three weeks in China as part of an orchestra tour with Benjamin Zander's Youth Philharmonic Orchestra, but my mom helped me a lot for that trip. Oh, and then there was that time I lived in Austin, Texas for a month...but let's not get into that.
Then there are the little trips I've been on...packing for auditions in Virginia, Ohio, Washington D.C., Arizona, and soon California. Not to mention all the vacations I've packed for. With each trip, no matter how big or small, I've adapted a very methodical approach to packing.
I've already packed most of my things. Coming back from the weekend with my stomach full of turkey and pie and a little sleepy, I forgot I had to do laundry. And this was after I went out to dinner with some old friends from GBYSO. I've already packed what I could clothing wise (roughly 10 outfits for 7 days...and too many pairs of shoes), and it made me so happy to be packing flip flops and shorts! (and the obligatory concert attire). My backpack is pretty much packed with books I intend to read (in the little free time I'll have), a planner, and my passport and assorted liquids (in an accessible place)...not to mention my phone, computer, and kindle chargers. The stuff I'll need for tomorrow morning is out near my backpack so I'll remember to pack it. My outfit for tomorrow is laid out. My clarinet is all set with all the music I'll need, with plenty of room for my laptop. Yup...I'd say I've got this.
I'll be updating my blog as much as possible (hopefully every day). This is my big challenge for November. I'll be working (and playing) extremely hard this week, because this is one of the first big teaching opportunities I've had so far in my career as a working clarinetist (Peter Hadcock reference anyone?).
I will be sharing everything I know with my students, and I'm sure I'll be learning just as much, if not more.
This is going to be an incredible experience.

No comments:
Post a Comment