So the last time I updated you on my new cell phone alarm system...the one where I have to solve numerous math puzzles in order for the alarm to shut off? Yeah about that. I set this morning's alarm to go off at a reasonable 8:00am. When it went off, in my sleep-induced fury, I turned the ringer of my phone off, effectively silencing the alarm. Freaky Alarm also keeps track of your sleep patterns, kind of creepy...like Santa. There's something called an "iWake coefficient graph", and today I got 0%. I think it's disappointed. I should just hire somebody to tickle me awake...but even then I think I would rather punch them out and go back to sleep than to actually wake up.
Today was still a productive day...not a whole lot of time wasted, I'm so proud of myself. I had a weird dream involving pet chickadees, robbers, Thayer Street (Providence), and almost getting run over by a crazy old man in a car (yes, apparently I stress out in my sleep too)...which I wrote down. Then I had my lesson, had a quick bite to eat on my way to studio class (which turned into a fraternity-esque bass clarinet party, if possible), then I got coffee with a friend, practiced scales, scales, and more scales, taught a lesson, and went to the BSO. When I got home I listened to the repertoire that I need to learn for my upcoming auditions, and now I'm catching up on blogging.
![]() |
| Totally found this online today. Brilliant. |
If you're reading this and thinking to yourself "Wow, I really don't care about what you did today"...that's fine. It's my blog. I'm just trying to be absolutely honest with myself and trying to find where I waste time, which is my first mission in being mindful. Meditation comes after.
I heard some really good music tonight. I want to share some with you.
Tonight's performance included Tchaikovsky's first piano concerto, played by Daniil Trifonov, who was very good...but Horowitz is kind of a big deal. During tonight's performance there were no flapping dickies, tuxedos with tails, or any other bugs bunny-esque wardrobe malfunctions...and there was a great Schumann encore, complete with two standing ovations.
Now, after listening to that great music, one must compare and contrast recordings. For those of you who are familiar with Victor Borge, he adds a few hysterical notes...this one will be sure to make you at least giggle.
And I can't end this post without mentioning the Prokofiev and how amazing the woodwinds (most notably the clarinets) (most notably the Eb clarinet) sounded. I'm thinking...Maazel and Cleveland.
And for those of you winding down for the night, here is the encore that Trifonov played this evening.

No comments:
Post a Comment