From the Central Square T stop, on Mondays from 12-6pm, walk down Norfolk street (about a block away from the T), and you'll find it. It's behind a building, and so I didn't see it until I actually walked by, so don't be confused if you peek down Norfolk Street and don't see a whole lot going on.
| Size doesn't matter when you're supporting local farms...well except maybe the size of fresh tomatoes... |
| Central Square |
| Lots of businesses around here |
![]() |
| T stop |
| It's so Boston, but cute, with a little church in the background. |
![]() |
| A bag from Kimball's farm, one of the vendors. |
I also bought a zucchini, and ate the whole thing. It was...delicious. No picture here, because I was too hungry to take a picture and the zucchini is now completely gone. I've been going to this website every once in a while, called World's Healthiest Foods. It has healthy recipes, and complete nutritional, flavor, and historical information on every fruit, veggy, grain, nut, oat, meat...anything you can think of. They also feature foods that are in season, so you are guaranteed to get super fresh, ripe fruits and veggies in the market (pineapple is actually in season during the winter, something I didn't know until this site). They also feature a few different ways to prepare said featured food.
So I was starving, summer squash is very much in season (yes, summer squash and zucchini are the same thing), and I had all the ingredients to make a simple, fast, and awesome lunch. (Emphasis on simple...because it was literally a bowl of zucchini). It's super nutritious and filling, low in calories, great source of fiber, vitamin C, and is beneficial in the prevention of certain cancers and heart disease. Booya.
So, if you're hungry, have these ingredients, and feel like eating an entire medium sized zucchini cut into quarter inch slices, this is what you do:
-put a little veggy broth in a skillet, mainly enough to cover the bottom, and heat it up
-when it starts to steam, throw in the already cut zucchini pieces for and let them cook (usually around 3-5 minutes depending on your stove)...I also threw a little garlic in there. Look at me, cheffing it up. I made that word up. I digress...
-while the zucchini is doing it's thing, and while you're frequently stirring, in a bowl put some olive oil, lemon juice, and chopped garlic, stir it up, and set it to the side, because this is a mediterranean style dressing.
-when the zucchini is ready, put it in a bowl, drizzle the dressing on top, add a little freshly ground pepper, and if you're feeling really wild, add some salted/roasted sun flower seeds. Woah.
Delicious, and now I have 66% of my vitamin C, and a whole lot of fiber. Awesome!
In a nutshell, Central Square Farmers Market is awesome, despite the size and despite the almost hidden location. It's one of those things that you only really know about if you live here, and I like that.




The Central Square Farmer's Market started in 2008 and was chaired by Trustee Heather Stevens. The purpose is to provide consumers an opportunity to purchase locally grown quality produce from local gardeners and area farmers. In addition to the locally grown product there are vendors of homemade and locally produced arts and craft items.
ReplyDelete